There’s a hint of the Mediterranean to this tasty soup. Use your choice of green or red pepper to taste, or maybe even oven roast your pepper first to give it a little something extra.
If you’ve made this recipe, why not share a photo of it on social media with the hashtag #kettlewellscarecrow? We’d love to see how you get on!
Enjoying our delicious recipes? Please consider making a small donation to help our village weather the effects of Covid-19.
There are some keen gardeners in Kettlewell, and this soup is the perfect way to use up some of your courgette harvest. It also freezes beautifully so you can keep some as a treat for cooler weather.
- 2 tbsp/30ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 800g tinned tomatoes (2 tins)
- 4 medium courgettes, chopped
- 2 peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 pint / 568ml boiling water
- Dash Worcester sauce (or Henderson's for vegetarians)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and soften the onion and garlic gently for about 5 minutes.
- Add the coriander and oregano, stir in for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomatoes, peppers and courgettes, leave on low heat with the lid on the pan, for 10 minutes.
- Mix the tomato purée into the hot water and pour into the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a hand or jug blender, whizz the soup to a purée, taste - adding Worcester sauce, salt and pepper if needed - reheat and serve.
Another popular soup, this serves four hearty portions for lunch or six as a starter at dinner. Perfect swirled with a dash of cream, or served with a sprinkle of grana padano on top. Serve with some garlic bread, fresh from the oven.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 321mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 8gSugar: 12gProtein: 5g
Nutritional data provided is a guideline and will vary according to precise ingredients used and how large your home-made portions are.