Why do we call her Super Sue? Simply because she’s earned it. Sue is the person who ensures that we have enough cake and other goodies to take us through the nine days of the Scarecrow Festival, allocating tasks, adjusting quantities, and making sure there is good food for everyone that needs it. As it turns out, she also makes a very good chocolate cake, and this is her recipe.
If you’ve made this recipe, why not share a photo of it on social media with the hashtag #kettlewellscarecrow? We’d love to see how you get on!
Enjoying our delicious recipes? Please consider making a small donation to help our village weather the effects of Covid-19.
This is a staple of the Kettlewell Scarecrow Festival catering in the Village Hall, and the recipe is from Sue, who marshals our army of village bakers to ensure that visitors are always well-fed.
- 7 oz/200g self raising flour
- 8 oz/225g caster sugar
- 1oz/25g cocoa powder
- 4oz/115g margarine
- 2 eggs
- 5 tbsp evaporated milk
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
For the buttercream filling/topping
- 4oz/115g icing softened butter
- 8oz/225g sifted icing sugar
- 1oz/25g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- A little milk
- Grease and line the bottom of 2 x 8inch round sandwich cake tins and put the oven on at 180C.
- Sift together flour, sugar and cocoa.
- Rub in the margarine until it resembles breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, water and vanilla essence with a fork.
- Add this liquid to the flour mixture and beat well until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide equally between the two tins, smooth out and bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Once cold, sandwich together with chocolate butter icing and spread the top and decorate.
- For the icing: beat together the icing sugar and butter (using the milk if needed)
- Add the cocoa and vanilla essence and beat until smooth.
- Handy tip - the icing is better made the day before and left in an airtight container overnight - beat again before applying to cake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 1gSugar: 38gProtein: 5g
Nutritional data provided is a guideline and will vary according to precise ingredients used and how large your home-made portions are.