Of all the crafts I did with my son when he was younger, the ones he liked the best were either those where he could get thoroughly messy, or those where the materials used meant he could create something that looked better than his own dexterity would allow at the time. It didn’t matter whether it was yoghurt pots, washing-up liquid bottles, kitchen roll tubes or tetra paks, things that had their own structure and could be decorated and repurposed were the best way for his active imagination to express itself until his own ability caught up.
This is a great example of that kind of project. The flower pots are a simple element that help small hands create a quite adorable ornament, and a scarecrow paperweight on your desk could be just what’s needed to brighten up the next Zoom call!
This little flower pot scarecrow is easy to make and ever so cute. If you don't have small terracotta pots to hand, egg box cells can provide a similar shape to work with.
- 4 mini plant pots (if you cannot find these then you could use a cut up egg carton)
- Yellow wool
- Orange felt
- PVA glue
- Black or brown pipe cleaner
- Black pen (I used a black Sharpie)
- Paintbrush/glue spreader
- Paint one plant pot, this will be the scarecrow’s trousers.
- Paint another plant pot, this will be your scarecrow's top.
- Leave to completely dry.
- Using your glue, stick the two pots on top of each other, as shown. Leave to dry.
- Glue your pipe cleaner on top, then attach another pot on top. Leave to dry.
- Cut a square out of the orange felt, a little larger than your plant pot. Fold the felt into quarters and cut a curve from the outside corners. Unfold and you have a circle. It does not matter if it is not perfect!
- Cut lengths of wool to make the straw hair, then glue on top of the pot. (I wound the wool around two of my fingers then snipped along, then cut in half again.) Make sure you use plenty of glue.
- While the glue is still wet, put the orange circle of felt on top, this will be the brim of the hat.
- Put PVA glue around the rim of the last pot and put upside down onto the felt. Leave to dry.
- When your scarecrow is completely dry, you can add
him/her a face and details.